Thursday, February 23, 2012

Awesome bargain...help me!


I just found this gem at one of our Goodwill stores today.  Let me tell you, the vultures were circling with this one!  I practically had a lady follow me throughout the store and a gentleman was complimenting how well-made it was.  I paid $14.99 for this baby.  It is a Drexel nightstand and in perfect condition.  I am always all over bloggy land looking at all the DIY furniture makeovers and am astonished and jealous of the outcomes.  This is the first piece that I've really found that I want to redo.  Here's the dilemma:  what should I do????  It already has a fabulous look to it, but how could I make it more fabulous???  I like the cottage look and shabby chic, but I also like high Victorian.  One style I am not particularly fond of is modern so traditional would best suit me.  If you have any suggestions or links, I would be utterly grateful!

Here's the furniture stamp inside the drawer.
  
I am also not hung up on it being strictly for the bedroom.  I think canning jars full of jam would look absolutely quaint.  I have no idea what to do with this piece, but I'm excited for the possibilities.  I'll keep you posted!!!

4 comments:

  1. I just found your website from the chunnel post pinned on pinterest. This is a gorgeous piece of furniture! I think it would look lovely with shelves full of home canned goods. I don't have any really input, but could you maybe paint some sort of picture or pattern on the screen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece already has dings and dents and character that will give it great texture if you shabby chic it. You could lighten it by white washing it. Thin down white paint and wipe on and dab off with LOTS of clean cloths. All the marks will show if you go darker, too. You could choose a stain and sealant all in one product. Min-wax makes a tinted polyurethane, it is the closest you are going to get to a one step finish. But, I know for a fact you will be sanding your way to china if you try to take much of the color off. They sprayed a furniture enamel on dry wood, so it stuck! If you sand, use a mask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi---cool piece....I just found out about this great paint: Chalk Paint. I'm sure they sell it around the country. See this website...it gives you an idea/feel for how it works...it creates this kind of waxy, weathered looks. http://www.brocante-home.com/chalkpaintfabric.html Good success. BTW, love your chunnel/chicken moat! So clever.

    ReplyDelete