I have been hitting the thrift stores more frequently and have found some amazing deals!!!! I already have a few Christmas gifts lined up. I found three Mega Block (very similar to Lego's) ships--the Black Pearl, the Flying Dutchman, and a viking ship that are absolutely fantastic! My son is going to love them! I paid $3-$4 for them each, when in fact they retail for $30 or more. I am SO pleased with finding those! Plus, I have found some amazing book deals that you just can't beat!! I'm not sure if a bookseller or retailer donates these books, but I have found some very popular books in sets that you can't get for such low prices. For instance, the Guardians of Ga'Hoole--I got books 1-10 for $1.49 each! I also found four of the 39 Clues books (in hardback) for $2.99 each. I found all six of the Warriors books for $1.49 each...all these books were in pristine condition. I've also been looking for some curtains for my living room and found the most magnificent set for $10. All this stuff is brand new or near new...you can't beat the prices. So, here are some of my tips for thrift shopping that I've acquired over the years.
- Go as often as you can. You will see the new material as it comes in. You'll know what's been there awhile and you'll get first dibs on the new stuff.
- If it's a fantastic deal, buy it!!! You will totally regret not getting it because it will be gone the next time you go back!
- I usually don't wait for the half-price days because whatever it is I've been eyeballing will be gone!
- Thrift stores are wising up to seasonality--you will pay higher prices for canning jars during canning season. Don't buy them...you will pay almost the same price as new ones! However, if you want a cheap costume for Halloween, the thrift store is the place. The same goes for Christmas items.
- Which leads me to my next tip, KNOW YOUR PRICES!!! You don't want to pay the same price for used as you would for new!
- Thrift stores are without question one of the best places to get name brand clothes!
- Never leave your shopping cart unsupervised. I speak from experience. People have no shame and will take something out of your cart...I've had something taken out of mine ONCE and believe me, it was the last time. If you spent all that time finding a great deal, protect it!